Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obligatory topic

I would guess that every person who posts to a blog today will address the Inauguration of President Obama, so I'll join in....

This would not be the first President that I have seen sworn in whom I did not vote for. I remember two Clinton swearing-ins that made my stomach turn, and a couple more before him. I've also voted Democrat and been glad they won (at the time.) I've also lived in the 60s.

I think that alone - the remembering the racial violence and ridiculous days of that decade - make today do-able for me. I never, ever want to see our nation torn apart like that again, with the fear of who was going to be assassinated next on everyone's mind. It was worse that 9-11 in that we were doing it to ourselves.

If he can do something to inspire families and men to take responsibility for their families and pride in working to make something of themselves, then he will convert me over to a supporter.

Until then, I'm skeptical. He will be my President, and I hope no harm comes to him or his family, but my fears of what else he will push forward keep me at bay.

So, here's to you, Barak. I'll bet George is more than ready to give the whole mess over to you and get back on Texas soil. I would be. There's nothing worse than giving it your best and being beat down for it.

May God continue to bless this land.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Well spoken! Especially the "giving it your best shot and gettin g beat down for it!"


As for Barak . . . I'm trying to try.