Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thanks, Dave!!

I grew up in a money-challenged home. By that I mean, even though we were in the age of "Women's Lib" - the 60s, my mom never was allowed to write a check until I was probably a Senior in High School. She was a stay-home mom, and my Dad was in control of the money. (Now, knowing what I do, I understand why!!) But, because of that, my mom taught me some very unhealthy-to-the-marriage things about manipulating the budget. Some of them I carried on to my marriage, and it really hurt us, in more ways than one.

Like a lot of young American couples, we ran up debt; a teacher and a probation officer don't make oogles of money, but we both admit now that we did not manage it well.

Then, we met Dave Ramsey.

Dave has shown us "the way" - and we are closer than ever to being Debt-Free. Last night, Andy wrote the last check on my car, almost a year early!! It was a great feeling, and not because now I have more money to spend, but the list of what we owe grew shorter by a big one. With retirement not too far in the future, every bit we do helps a lot. (I want to retire and get to be with Liz, Bladen, and grandbabies still in my future!!)

So, with the check in the mail to pay off my car (and let's all pray it runs for a long, long time!!) - I say, "Thanks, Dave!!"

No comments: