Thursday, October 29, 2009

Things I like about my job -

When you are a "real" teacher (i.e. - classroom), and then move out to become "Support Staff", it is a real adjustment. Now, I haven't been a "real" teacher in some time, but even my shift to my current position has caused me to find new and more appreciated levels of work:

1. I get to actually talk to my students. Homeroom teachers do not have the luxury of having conversation with their students. I know this because, when I ask them things about their students, they look at me like they have no idea what is going on. Teaching now is about curriculum and scores, not children.

2. No duty. Enough said!

3. No grades, and for me, no lesson plans!! My curriculum is set so rigidly, I just follow the manual and go from there. (Can be boring, so I try to come up with some variants)

4. No grading. See above.

5. I'm not going to say no discipline problems, because I do have some, but a lot of it is referred back to the homeroom teacher or office. I just have my little 45 minutes, and that's enough with some children!!

6. 45 minutes a group and they move on!!

7. I get to laugh at the kids; we have a relationship all it's own. I'm lucky and, and I hope they feel the same way!!


So, in the twilight of my career, I have the dream job. It makes life a lot easier!!

1 comment:

shanon said...

Isn't it great!!!???! I told you I had the best job in town and that you would love it. After 22 years in the classroom, mostly first, I can appreciate it so much more. I never really thought about it, but we do get to talk with our students and have conversations. They are always telling me things and I love to listen and be a part of their lives. Shanon