Thursday, April 05, 2007

Allow me to vent, please !!!

First of all, I do not mean to offend anyone; I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, and I know several who would apply to this post, but I gotta rant a little today....

Throughout the years, as far back as Dana's preschool days in Katy, I've been approached about private schools for children. It always makes my hair on the back of my neck stand straight up, because I feel very - can I say VERY strongly about certain aspects of private schooling. I know that the public schools have problems, and are not always the best in situations, and that there are kids who benefit well from attending smaller, more intimate, individual settings.
However -

Today, we received a letter from a student we know that attends a private school. Has for a while, and will continue there until graduation. Fine. That is the choice the family made and it is their sacrifice to provide this for their child. My beef comes when I get letters asking me to help with "fundraising" - tuition, and better yet, school trips to places like New York or such. I'VE NEVER BEEN; why would I pay for someone else's child to go? A couple of years ago, when Dana and Erin decided they were going to New York, they didn't send out letters begging for help to enhance their experience.
PLEASE! If you are willing to provide that for your child, go for it. I know many people who feel it is vital to their success, but don't ask others in carefully worded letters to "support" their choice. I want to shred it and return it in the enclosed envelope with a well-worded letter of my own. GRRRR!

Public school has supported my family and given me a fine career. While there were things about it when the girls were going through that I didn't like, I kept them there because I felt they had to deal with life and the people in the world. They came out of the experience having been exposed to a lot; good and bad, but with a rounded look at our society and the whole of the people that inhabit it. It was our choice.

Like I said, I don't want to judge or criticize those who choose to put their children in private schools - their reasons are theirs to deal with. But with that choice come the bearing of the debt.

1 comment:

Dana said...

OK...My turn...The other day, a woman was talking about her choice to home school her child. She said "If someone else's mom can teach my child, why not me? I mean, it can't be that hard!" It took everything in me not to be insulted to the highest. I have been through 5 years of college and countless hours of best practices. I am a professional, HARD WORKING individual. Then, I am faced with a woman who felt just anyone with half a brain could do it. It was a good thing Jeff was there or I might have said something I regretted.