Saturday, April 14, 2007

Quite a Milestone

This weekend is the Poteet Strawberry Festival. Thought I had some cousins coming in, but that didn't happen. Kinda looking forward to joining them at the parade.... :(

At school yesterday, I was talking to some of the kids, and they had been to carnival wrist-band night. I told them it was easy for me to remember how long the Festival had been going on, since my parents married the first year.

This is the 60th year!! 60 years ago, a handsome rascal of a man married the challenge of his life, and together they lived in the same house on the corner of Avenue B and Boyd Street. The house grew as the family did, and it was a great place to grow up. My dad died in 1990, and mom in 2001; Gary, Marsha and I live literally across the country from each other, and the house doesn't look at all like it did. Except in memory. Mom's vibrate, artistic colors in each room, her lovely knotty-pine cabinets in the kitchen, and Dad's perfect grass.

I'm extremely grateful that, as years pass, the memories and feelings get sweeter and more kind.

1 comment:

Darla said...

Yes, thankfully as time passes the memories are sweeter.

At some point we step out of our childhood and into the adult world and put the pains of our childhood behind us.

My parents are still alive and I am thankful and appreciate the relationship I have with them.

I love you, Amy. You are a strong Christian woman and a great example to everyone.