Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Mrs. Williamson would be so proud!!

The only reason I took Spanish in high school was Troy Starr. He was THE love of my young life, and I knew he'd be in that class. So, while I had the best teacher PHS had to offer, it was wasted on me because I was goofy in love. (Someday, I'll tell you the perm story!)

Now, I took two years of Spanish, but haven't really kept up with the lingo and rules, as life hasn't really taken me in that direction. Until last week during TAKS testing. On Wed., I was holed up in the room with 3 Special Ed kids, 8 books, and about 5 hours to kill. Hummph!
We pass the books around kid to kid, and I model by reading my book silently, but - hey; I can actually read my book, and my kids have books too hard for them. Needless to say, it doesn't take long to look at the pictures, and the books have all been shared.

Mercifully, lunch comes around, and we waste as much time in the cafeteria as we are allowed, then it's back to the class until 2:30. Oh my gosh; what now?!?! I look over at one stack of books, and I notice it is "Caps For Sale" -one of my very own favorites - in Spanish. Yep.
Well, I call the kids over to me, and begin to "read" this book. Now, all three are Hispanic children, and they don't read, but they sit there and listen to me butcher their native tongue while drawing on my knowledge of the story (which I haven't read since Erin was 4!)
Every now and then I'd ask, "Is that right?" and they'd all shake their heads. Not one of the sweet ones laughed at me (to my face, anyway.)
I'm sure had there been a video camera somewhere around, it would make it to the Funniest Home Videos, but hey, it killed a good 15 minutes.

Come to think of it, I think I hear Mrs. Williamson rolling over in her grave as I speak. "Caps, Caps For Sale, Fifty Cents a Cap!"

3 comments:

Darla said...

That is priceless!
I am sure you made a great impression on those children.

Dana said...

Your kids are sweet! A few months ago I was reading Too Many Talames and my kids mockingly laughed at me when I mispromounced mesa. One slip of the tounge and that's all it takes...

The Johnsons said...

I couldn't help but smile reading your blog. That was totally me last year teaching my ESL kids - being next door to the BiLing. class. I wish I could have been there. And I'm sure they did laugh!

Your next blog should definitly be the perm story... :)