Thursday, May 29, 2008

Plans, plans, and more plans

I am married to a planner. Shoulda seen it coming before the wedding, but even then, I had no idea the ramifications it would hold. 32 years of planning...
I've come to realize that it is not a bad thing, in case you were wondering. Sure, for a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants girl, who loves to jump up and run, it can have it's frustrations, but for the most part, it is a more sane lifestyle. It breeds consistency and calm routine. And sometime, boredom.
Take children. I wanted a baby right away. Married - baby - house. Not Andrew. He wanted to wait 4 years (we were all of 21 at the time!! That clock of mine was ticking loudly!!) before having our first, and I just gave up trying to talk him into it. The man does nothing he doesn't want to. So, we had Dana after 4 years. It's not just the big things either, and sometimes those are the most frustrating.

Now, I understand that living with a jump and run wife is not easy. "Where's dinner," he asks. "Oh, I decided to color with Erin this afternoon instead of cook, so, we'll have it in a couple of hours." "Did you pick up _____ ?" " Oops, Cathy called and we went to see Dee." You get his side of this story? I really think it may be harder for him, because it sets his whole way of thinking way off kilter; whereas, I have no kilter to set off.

What's the point of this entry? I'm thinking about how this is just one part of married life that makes things hard - if you don't balance it. Luckily, over the years, we've adapted to each other, and have learned how to keep the other one from total domination. I've learned to wait, be patient, accept "not now" without pouting. He's learned to throw in some spontaneity every now and then to pacify the wife. It's a win-win. Finally, we've figured something out!!

No comments: