Friday, May 23, 2008

The last Friday with children !!

Today is my last day to "serve" children. Next week is only 2 1/2 days full of awards, movies, parties, and other end-of-year mania. It all comes down to how to keep them busy when they know grades are in and it's over. Especially the 4th graders going to a new campus - it's a done deal. Anyway, back to my kids.

My little man Pate (no pun to the movie title intended!) will not be here today. He lingered back after the others left yesterday, as is his method when he wants to tell me something, and told me the family is leaving for a long weekend at lunch. I tried not to fuss too much, and he gave a little side hug and grin, and we promised to see each other before the end of next week. Today is celebration day for all they've done in class, and I've brought soda and popcorn. Not enough to get them hyper, you understand, but enough to enjoy. We will talk, play dominoes or some other game, and then say goodbye. It's been a long year, and I'm ready.

I have to tell you that knowing I have 3 years left is an odd sensation as far as approaching work next year. The end being in sight, even though it is 3 years and not the last, helps put things into perspective. I don't like what school is becoming, at least on this campus, but I can continue to influence my corner of the world the best I can and keep things balanced and sane. Then, Lord willing, I will walk out the door knowing I gave it my best.

Well, let's get this Friday going - the popcorn is ready to be popped and the drinks are cold!! Let's party!!

No comments: