Thursday, May 22, 2008

To Newlyweds everywhere -

On Saturday, Andy and I drove to Houston to attend the 25th wedding anniversary party for his sister and her husband. As I was paying for our drinks at the Shell station, I mentioned our trip to the clerk, and she said, "Wow - have her tell me how they did it." I told her - they are friends and laugh all the time. They have a commitment to each other for life.

So, as I spend the day in reflection of my 32 years with Andrew, I think about all those who are newly married and wondering how it's going to work. Lots of things come into play, but here are the basics I think every marriage must have to work:
~ God has to be first. Without His Word to guide us and the example of other Christian couples, it can be trecherous out there.
~ Commit to each other for life. That phrase "Till death do us part" is not there for its literary beauty. There will be no divorce. It is not an option.
~ Laugh - often and from the gut
~ Kiss a lot (my favorite !)
~ Take aging and difficulty as they come. You are both getting older, and hard times will come, so hold on and get through them.
~ Keep no secrets.

Most of these have been relatively easy for us, but a couple have not, and it's usually been because of something stupid I've done. But because Andrew is Andrew, we've made it this far.

He says tonight is a surprise, so I'm eager to get home. No Spurs, so I guess we'll be alone!! I plan on a lot of kissing!!

1 comment:

shanon said...

Happy Anniversary!!!
Shanon