Thursday, May 08, 2008

Thanks to my daughters!

Every now and then, a memory rushes over me like a tidal wave, and I am a little girl once again. Just now, as I sat at my desk, I saw a class of very excited 4th graders coming into their room with their Mother's Day cards created in computer lab. Each face so proud, so full of excitement at the anticipation of giving it to their mom and seeing her reaction. Later today, if you brought money, you get to go to the cafeteria and decorate a cake for Mom and take it home to her. It's the talk of the campus!

For me, Mother's Day was always the hardest. Margaret was creative and talented and had high standards. I'm not saying she didn't love my little homemade cards and stuff; it was later when we were both adults that the pressure to please her was the worst.
And the cards full of sappy sentiment just didn't say what I felt.
We just didn't have that type of relationship, as much as I wanted it. By the time she was able to say what I needed to hear, it was too late. My heart was hard and unlistening.

So, for me, it's all about my girls. What joy they have given me in their lives, and I have learned so much about myself through them. Their love and respect fill my life with pleasure, and Mother's Day comes with each phone call I receive. Who needs cake?!

No comments: