Friday, December 22, 2006

One of my favorite Christmas songs is "Away in a Manger." I always loved it for its simplicity, but really came to count it among my favorites when Dana was about 3.

I was teaching in Sealy, and every day, I took Erin and her with me to a lady who kept them in her home not far from the school. One day, Dana said, "Look Mommy, it's Jesus." I tried to see what she was talking about, but couldn't figure it out. The next day, as we approached that area, I said, "Dana, do you see Jesus again today?" and she said Yes. The only thing around was a bill-board with the picture of a man wearing a welding helmet and holding a torch. She said, "See Mom, it's Jesus," and started singing "Away in a Manger." I tried to get her to tell me how that was Jesus, and why she was singing that song, and she said that it was the "Away in a Manger" picture. So that's what we called it, "The Away in a Manger" billboard.

Through all these years, we still see that billboard. Its picture is hardly visible now, and I'm sure the business it advertized is long gone. But for Dana, Erin and me, on the way to school everyday, it was our picture of Jesus, and a chance to sing a wonderful song.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Oh my goodness! I haven't thought about that in quite a while. I think that the sparks in the picture looked like "the stars in the sky look down where he lay". Other than that, there is no telling! I'll definitley look for it tomorrow!

Jackie said...

I have a good story about the boys and a Christmas 'Jesus' somg. I'll blog on it tomorrow.

thanks!!! Miss you!