Thursday, December 21, 2006

"Well - Amy Young, or used to be!"

That is how I was greeted this morning when I came out of the doctor's office into his waiting room. A sister of a life-long friend was waiting her turn to go in for her appointment, and it surprised her to see me come through the door. We chatted and exchanged well-wishes to each other's families, and then I left. I went about my chores for the day, took a nice nap, and then hit the blogs.

Now I'm thinking about Amy Young used-to-be. Before college. Andy. Dana and Erin. Tulsa. All God's people who have come and gone through my life all those in years. Amy Young used-to-be was a mousy, shy little thing; skinny with dirty knees and tangled hair. She didn't make much of an impression on anyone, and that was just fine with her. Most of the people who knew me then probably keep me in that little box, and would not even know me now. It's funny to think about, actually - to look back at Amy Young used-to-be, and to see how much she's changed.

At the doctor's office today, in some of those long waiting moments you have to endure, I was looking at a poster about menopause. The words "Change of Life" jumped out at me like the title of the movie "Cast Away." I think I even read them aloud a few times. The meaning had nothing to do with the way I'd always read it or heard it; at 51, my life IS changing daily. Each day takes me farther and farther away from Amy Young used-to-be.

Who knew I'd have so much to think about when I got up this morning -

Have a good evening!

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Believe it or not, I was a shy, dirty little tomboy - alot like what you sounded to be. I am what I am due to self preservation and God. In that order.

love you very much!

jenn said...

wow, amy i don't think i can even imagine you as someone who doesn't make an impact on people! you have blessed my life so much, thank you!
luvs

andrew said...

I have always said I thought you were an amazing woman. Might have something to do with why I married you. Yes, you have grown and changed over the years. But, I think we are supposed to do that. As much fun as we had in college, dating and being engaged, I'm not so sure I would want to stay that way. I have enjoyed watching you grown into the person that you are today. In case I haven't said it lately...you are an amazing woman. I love you.