Saturday, December 16, 2006

When Andy and I decided to build our home, the lot we selected had no trees on it - not even a mesquite! In a way, it was like a blank painting canvas; ours to do as we pleased. We made some mistakes; like the little tiny tree Carl broke one night, and the beautiful loquat we had to cut down because it got too big and too near the house. But we made some wonderful choices too.

Right now, I live in New England! In the front, I have a Red Oak and a Bradford Pear wearing their beautiful Fall colors for all to see! They greet me as I come home from a long day at school, and stand out among all the other green trees on the block. I chose them specifically for that reason, and it took a few years, but right now, they are wonderful. In the back, outside my breakfast nook, I see my Bur Oak, Chinese Pistachio, and Chinese Tallow - reds, yellows, oranges, and all bright with the sun on them. The first good wind, and the naked trunks and limbs will be all I see, but for now, it is God's splendor at my beck and call. It reminds me of the cycle of life, and of God's love for me, that He made not only a creation for my survival, but for my enjoyment as well.

Pleasanton is known for it's abundance of lovely, stately live oak trees, and I do enjoy them, but on my street, among all the green, colors rule!!

Sweet dreams!!

No comments: