Thursday, December 07, 2006

Today, I read a letter to all Aggie family members from Dr. Gates, as he resigns to become Secretary of Defense. It was pretty much what you would expect an outgoing college president to say as he leaves, but then I got down to the end. He goes on about how, no matter where he goes or what he does, for the rest of his life, he will "Bleed Maroon." I looked at that and I thought, what is it about that college that makes even a parental bystander like me feel loyalty and pride? I loved my college, Sam Houston State University, and am proud of my degree from there, but I don't "Bleed bearkat orange" for goodness sake.

I guess my love for A&M comes from the wonderful years my girls enjoyed there, and for the son God provided for us throught Aggies for Christ; for the focus and push it gave Dana and Erin to be better people and serve others - things they were taught growing up, but emphasized so beautifully at a time when they were making life-long decisions about who they wanted to be in life.

I don't know the point to this blog, other than to say that I hope Dr. Gates is able to hold onto those qualities he listed from A&M as he heads to D.C.
Heaven knows that place needs an Aggie or two!!

2 comments:

Dana said...

Amen!

andrew said...

Ditto.