Thursday, July 26, 2007

"...for whom the phone rings...."

My post today begins with the "the bell tolls for thee" reference, because of the way my day began.

Telephones are great inventions. Our lives today are not even fathomable (sp) without them. They bring the most mundane of news and the most wonderful news into our lives instantaneously. I think about the "olden days" when news traveled by letter or even word of mouth, and how things were said and done before we ever heard of the possibility. Now we take the cell phone into the bathroom with us in case we miss an "important" call. How ridiculous and dependent we have become.

At 8:39 this morning, my phone rang. Now people who know me know that 9:00 is the best time to catch me up and going, so I figured this had to be a telemarketer or something else. Instead, it was the secretary of my school, calling on the "phone tree." That meant at emergency. I learn from her that a co-worker's husband has had a stroke/annurism and that today they are taking him off life support. They are harvesting his organs for donation, and then she will become his widow. Good morning, Amy.

They live down the street from us, and I've worked with Mary Caroline for may years. She was very dear to me at the passing of my
mother. Their children are my daughters' ages. Now, she is without her spouse. Andy tells me he spoke to him on Sunday, and is shocked himself.

All over town today, the phones are ringing for Jim Chambers. Keep his family in your prayers as they face the coming days.

No comments: