Monday, March 09, 2009

What a great surprise!

Our trip to Houston for the big LaMore family portrait setting was postponed, so we instead had a nice weekend at home, watching the Spurs win 2 of 2 and got caught up on some shows we had taped. Did some laundry, had a fellowship dinner with delicious food, and counted the days to Spring Break.

One neat thing - as worship was about to begin I felt someone walk up beside me, and it was my friend Cathy and her man Steve!! They live quite a way away - well, about 40 minutes - and she attends worship in the same little congregation we grew up in. She lost her husband a few years ago, and has been seeing Steve for a few months. I'd never met him, so that was cool! Anyway, she wanted to go someplace different yesterday, and decided to drop in on us!! It was great to see her, and I was tickled to tell her that we'd planned to NOT be there on that day!! We sat next to each other and sang hymns, just as we did hour upon hour in the swing of my front yard, on school buses on football trips, and at worship all our growing up years. It felt magical to me! We visited just a bit following worship, and they met some of the other members there - then it was time to go. Even the delicious invitation to join us for the dinner couldn't sway them. I hope they come back again very soon!!

So, while I didn't get a Liz fix this weekend, I was reminded of how marvelous the church is in keeping us swaddled in love!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Soooo, THAT"S who that guy was. I was confused.

Why didn't they stay for the potluck?

Amy said...

I'm not sure about this, but I think the whole church thing is new to him....