Friday, March 27, 2009

Kids -

I have a student I'll call John. I don't like him, but I try very hard not to show it to either him or the class. He bugs me, because he just walks up and jumps into any conversation like he is invited, and that goes all over me, especially when it is between adults.

He's also one of those kids who tries overly hard to do the right things. When we stand in line at the door before going in, he's at attention. When all the kids raise their hand, his is higher and more forceful. When something is said incorrectly, he corrects it - even if it's me !! And he's never, ever absent!! I find myself being very short with him, and ignoring some of his attempts at being right, just so I don't growl at him, and he's just trying to be a good student. So...

he's one of the ones who passed his TAKS test, and who I brought a candy bar this week. I won't be having him the rest of the year, and I'm ashamed to admit, I was looking forward to it. Yes! I can quit being fake with him!!

He comes over today to pick up his candy bar, and hands me an envelope. I take it and mutter, "Thanks, John." and set it aside. He stands there, expectantly, and so it dawns on me that he wants me to read it now, in front of him. Here's what it said, as typed by a dyslexic 3rd grade boy:

"Dear Mrs. Lamoore
I will be missing you. Because I have'nt gotten to learn the whole cursive lesson.And making puzzles with you. The thing that I will miss the most is you. I Wont get to see you everyday, and I am sad for that. But I want to thank you for teaching me how to read."
"Sincerly,
(your favorite student)
John"

Boy, do I feel like a dog.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

oh amy!