Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hopefully, a lesson learned

One of my biggest concerns about my students is their ability to delay gratification. Everything has to be NOW - whether it is in the answer to a question shouted out while I am talking or waiting impatiently every day of the week for a candy bar promised for Friday. "But I want it now, Mrs. LaMore - I can't wait until Friday!!" I try to hold firm, but it would just be so much easier to give in...

My students at Elementary are 3rd and 4th graders. They are sweet children, and I love them (mostly). Due to the principal's scheduling, they miss what is called "Specials" - Art, Music, Computers, Science Lab - that their classmates go to and talk aboutto come to my class. I personally think it is cruel, but no one asks me. Now, at the end of March, something wonderful has happened!

8 of my 9 have received a passing grade on the first administration of their TAKS reading test!! (The public is told they have to pass it to go on to 4th grade; they get 3 opportunities, and then most are still passed.) I found out this week that the principal has told them that since they met their goal of passing, for the next 9 weeks, they get to attend whichever Specials class they choose!! I am so happy for them, especially because I want them to learn that good things do happen when you work hard and wait for results. I want them to see that long-term goals are worth the setting and that things feel better when you earn them than when you nag someone into getting them. I think a couple of them will "get it" but not all. There are a few who feel obliged to receive that which everyone else gets. But time will tell. I will not have them for the remainder of the year, so I won't get to have my celebration with them, but tomorrow - they get those candy bars!!

No comments: