Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Sad, but happy, news

In my job this year, I share a room on both campuses with another teacher. I have been blessed this year to get to know Johanna, and am looking forward to another year next year with her. No matter how long you teach, you always learn from another teacher.

At Elementary, I have shared my room with Patti for many years. I have grown to respect her professionalism and judgement, and we have shared students that have given us heartache and lots of laughs.

I found out this week that Patti is retiring at the end of this school year. I am so happy for her - teaching has changed so much, and pretty much all the fun is gone. You newbies out there who read this don't know the difference, but Patti and I do, and those few of us who are still around miss those days. With her going, the list of those around me from those days grows shorter. I think, on the Elem. campus, there are maybe 5 or 6 left. I'm beginning to feel like a dinosaur, and anticipating coming back is weak. I know I have to wait my turn, and I have a few good years left in me, but Patti going opens a hole in my world, and I'm not looking forward to breaking in a new roomie!

So - here's to Patti. To borrow a quote from the Good Book: "Well done!"

No comments: