Wednesday, June 03, 2009

3 days to go....

On Friday, I'm outta here - another year of teaching will go into the books, and another summer will begin. This is the first time I've ever worked into June, unless it was Summer School, and I can say, I don't like it; it's just wrong. I know; whine, whine, whine! :)

Last night, Andy and I drove into SA for a wonderful dinner with our friends from Ohio, Steve and Dianne, and their "new" daughter, Wynter. She just turned 13. They adopted her out of Foster care after their own 4 were grown; a sad, sad story with a happy ending. They told us all about the adoption ceremony and celebration a year ago, and she is a very sweet girl. She has "baggage" as all foster kids so, but with the Connell family as her own now, she has a future brighter than she can imagine.

We ended up at Spaghetti Warehouse - Andy loves that place! - and enjoyed our meal. We were just settling in to visit, when I see a man walking past the other tables and right up to ours, pulls out a chair, and begins to sit down, all the while asking Andy to buy him "dinner and a piece of chocolate cake." Huh?!? Andy asks him if he is supposed to even be in there, and the guy says, well, no; but could we buy him something to eat. Andy looks him in the eye, and sternly tells him, "I will buy you dinner, but you have to wait outside for me." The guys says; "And a piece of chocolate cake?" No, dinner and a glass of tea. So the guy leaves and goes to wait outside, Andy goes to the manager, and they talk. Seems the restaurant has a Criminal Trespass Order against him for doing this kind of thing, but if Andy wants, he can buy him some food. So, the Probation Officer orders him spaghetti and tea, and takes it to him outside; asking him tons of questions, and taking him to the side table to be away from the door. We sit there, all the while, trying to keep Wynter in her chair, because she is fascinated by all this and wants to go with Andy and "see the guy". Turns out he is Paranoid /Schitzophrenic (sp) and off his meds. Andy tells him what he wants him to do and comes back to the table with us.

I have to tell you, I was nervous when he left us to go get the car - watched too many movies, I guess.

Welcome to San Antonio, Wynter Connell!!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Wow!!! "If you give a person a glass of water in My name . . . "

Dana said...

I'm so proud of Dad! What an amazing man he is! I am truly blessed to be his daughter! And what a first impression for Wynter! My guess is that she won't forget Dad - ever!