Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A change in plans

Way back in December, when the board funded our little bonus, I mentioned that I was wanting to take a trip with the "discretionary income" I'd been afforded. Right away, I knew I wanted to do something different - something Andy and I had not done before; a new place.

All Spring, I'd banked on Philadelphia. Got the brochures, scoured the internet for sites, found the hotel on Hotwire; the works. (I learned a long time ago that, for me, the planning is one of the best parts of the trip!) Then, came the mammogram. The decision to wait to book the trip was a good one, now in hindsight.

So. Our plans have changed. With my procedure July 1, it will be in end of the month before I will feel like traveling, and then the walking and standing in Philadelphia's heat (while not Texas, still very warm!) became ominous to me. I decided that - for now, anyway - we need something cool; relaxing; peaceful.

Our plan is to leave for the Southwestern part of Colorado the 19th of July and head to some unfamiliar mountains, with their brisk air and majesty. I am once again on the hunt for lodging, activities, and routes, and have even booked us on a jeep trip high up into the mountains of the area. The only thing I am dreading is the long, long days of driving it will take to get us there, but it is a means to an end. I really need this adventure, and while it is not new and different, it will be wonderful. Nothing like the mountains to refresh this couple, and I'm banking on coming home rested and joyous!

4 comments:

Jackie said...

How wonderful!

The Johnsons said...

What this girl would do for some crisp mountain air! It will be wonderful!

shanon said...

You can always stay at our place coming or going...would love to see ya'll and that would cut the driving down some. Think about it.
Shanon

Dana said...

I'm with Erin - Mountain air would do this soul some good!! Take some deep breaths for me!