Sunday, June 14, 2009

Something to think about...

At the congregation where I worship, we sing with the words and music projected onto a screen; lovingly called singing "off the wall." It was a big change when we put it into play; some folks did not care for this new innovation, but it's come to be a matter of practice now. The song leader posts his song selection numbers on the board as usual, for the song-book-hangers-on, and off we go!!

Now, we have several men in our congregation who rotate leading singing. They all are giving their best, and try to make worship as meaningful as possible. But today, the leader accidently looked at his other list, and as we sang, faces upturned and voices in tune, he started another song! The screen went blank, and those of us recognized the other song sang. As the first verse came to an end, he stopped us, apologized, and turned us to the correct number. Everyone kinda chuckled, we got the correct song up on the screen, and off we went. Worship went on, without a hitch.

So here's what filled up my head the rest of the time (I know, I should have been concentrating on the sermon!). Why can I chuckle and go on when the leader I like so much messes up totally on a song, but when it's another leader, I get angry and think he should be taken out of the rotation due to lack of ability?! Why am I unforgiving of some, and yet blow off the same "error" done by another? This is something that bothers me about myself, and I need to work on my attitude. Perhaps now this realization today will stay forefront in my mind the next time another leader makes a miscue. I hope to be more loving!!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

wow. great blog. i have the same problem. . . but amy, it's an attitude thing. We know the heart of one and unfortunatly, we alson know the heart of the other.

jenn said...

I totally agree with Jackie and I have the same problem...very forgiving with some and very aggravated with another, and it is do to their personality and attitude BUT i only have control over mine. "As much as it depends on you (ME)be at peace with ALL people". Something we all must work on!