Saturday, May 12, 2007

My heritage

In reference to Dana's latest blog entry:

One topic I wanted to share with you during my "blogout" was a visit I had. On April 23, a group of us went up to Enchanted Rock Natural Area for an annual event. Several congregations were there, among them the LaVernia group. The leader of the group, Keith Johannson, is a old Camp Bandina peer, and I've loved his family since I was about 14.

On this day, he brought with him his father, Harold. Now, Brother Johannson lived in Alice and worshipped for years with my beloved grandmother, Inez May. I re-aquainted myself with Harold, and once everyone left to climb the rock, he and I settled down to reminence about Mamaw and Papaw. It was a time I wouldn't change for anything, I just wished I'd had a tape recorder!! Here are some highlights of the day:

Once, Mamaw really needed a new roof, and my Papaw had already "consumed" his last paycheck, so there was no money. It was going to cost all of $400.00 to replace. Bro. J. talked the elders into giving Mamaw the money she needed. Well, several weeks went by, and the old roof was still on. Finally, Bro. J. asked her where the money had gone. "There were some people on the other side of town that needed it more than I do." was her answer.

My papaw worked on oil refineries, and enjoyed his drinking. Mamaw worked it out with the bosses that if she would comme in the day befoe payday, they'd give her half of his earnings, so the three little ones would have money for food.

He's often see her driving her little brown Ford wagon all over Alice, picking up children and ladies to go to church.

On and on, all afternoon, just me and Brother Johannson. I felt like I was in Alice with him. He'll never know how blessed I felt that day!

No comments: