Thursday, May 17, 2007

200 and counting

According to my dashboard, this is post 201 for me. Wow - I'm sure I've not said anything earth-shattering, but it's been both fun and challenging for me this past year. I hope I continue to find things to share.

Like this - we had a bomb threat at school yesterday. We were all told to keep it quiet from the kids; and as I walked through the hall, I thought it sad that their lives at 9 and 10 already know about bomb threats and evacuations. Lots of parents came to pick up their children, which is their right, but it worried all the ones staying behind. Even though they did not know what was going on, they knew SOMETHING was very wrong.

It reminded me of the Cold War years. We would have bomb drop practices, where we would scramble under our little desks with our arms over our heads to protect us from the debris. Now I don't know what those desks were made of, but it wasn't long before I figured out that it wasn't enough to stop a nuclear bomb.

I guess every age has its fears - makes Heaven look even more welcoming.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I can't seem to remember fears anything like what we have now. I was raised in the sticks, rode around in a rattling yellow bus . . . worried about how high I could jump in the seat with the bumps.

It's nice to smile when you look back.

andrew said...

I agree w/ Jackie. It was so nice to be blissfully ignorant of certain things and to just go through life with a smile on my face. Wish I didn't know so much about certain things.

Darla said...

I remember those days of drill where we tucked ourselves under the desk and we brougth chlorox bottles (cleaned out) of water to store. We practiced it a few times and scared us good and then never told us when it was over. I remember asking a good while later if we still needed to bring water to school.

Those were the good ol' days!
I remember being concerned or maybe even curious but not really scared.