Monday, July 07, 2008

I love dogs. If we had a fence, Andy and I would be at serious war over whether or not to get one... I haven't had one since I was a teenager, but it's not for lack of desire. As awesome as Smudge was, he WAS a cat, and it's not the same. Very rarely do I come across a dog I don't like; such was the case with Bo. He was my sister-in-law's dog, and I disliked him from the first time I saw him. Just never bonded at all those family gatherings. Now, today we get an email saying they had to put him down.

Having had to do that twice in just a few years, I know the anguish of the decision and the loneliness of after the fact. I've never known more surely in my life that putting Smudge down was "for his own good" and eased his suffering - the look in his eyes those last couple of days said more to me than any words could, but it doesn't ease YOUR sadness or loneliness for them.

So, today, as the Fritsche's cope with losing Bo, I'm right there with them. He was part of their family for a long time, and I know their hurt will take a while. Rest in peace, Bo. I hope there's cake for you to eat in dog heaven.

1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

Poor Chuck and Molly...