Thursday, July 03, 2008

My Previous Life

Growing up, there was a lot of music in my home. Gary and I would put on music and waltz throughout the house, Daddy sang and whistled, and Mama would play the Everly Brothers and the Platters. But best of all were the John Phillip Sousa marches. We would play them on the record player (a big box that had a turntable and arm that held big, black vinyl circles with grooves cut in them, in case you didn't know.), and we would march like soldiers while humming along. It was magical.

I don't believe in reincarnation, but if I did, it would have to be that I was either John Philip or his wife. I can still pretty much "name that tune" on very few introductory notes, and it sets my heart to skipping. Just the energy and power of those chords and harmonies fill me with excitement.
And this weekend, among no other, will be filled with Washington Post, Stars and Stripes Forever, and so on. It is my yearly fix. We actually had an original recording of his band on one of mom's 78 records (those vinyl discs used to come in several speeds.), but it has been lost. I would have loved to have had it.

So, when you hear Stars and Stripes Forever this weekend, think of me!! I'll be somewhere, marching and humming!

No comments: