Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Once a mom, always a mom

I get it, mom. All those years of sighing and rolling my eyes when I saw your name on the caller I.D. - I get it now. Erin will get it soon - once a mom, you are ALWAYS a mom.

As soon as they put Dana in my arms the first time, I was her #1 fan for all time. And even though she is a "grown woman," I still worry and pray and dwell on what she is doing each and every day. We had a wonderful visit this past weekend, and I look at her with eyes full of love and pride and admiration, and try to remember that she is not 8 years old. She is competent and independent and very - well, normal. All that rearing that she got has paid off, along with a lot of blessings from people around her. And yet, as she drove off, I worried. Too many news reports and scary novels not to. I'm so glad that God hasn't gotten tired of my asking Him to watch over her in her life; but it's that mom-thing. And I'm glad she is patient with me.

Get ready, Erin. Elizabeth will make you understand like you never would imagine.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Sometimes a 28 year old still needs her mom. I guess we never grow out of that relationship!