Friday, July 25, 2008

Teacher's Pet

I try to act like it at the time; I try to make them think I don't favor one over the others, but sometimes you just can't help it. There comes along one who jumps in you heart and you can't do anything but love them, no matter what they do. I've had several over all the years, but ran in to #1 this week at the store. (At least he's #1 until I run into another!!)
I don't know if I've posted about Joe before. He came up to me in the check-out line this week and grinned and said, "I'm going to have a baby!"
Now, even with the Manu-facial hair, he still looks like a 4th grader
and the twinkle in his eyes melted me right there. Luckily, there was no one behind me, and the checker saw we needed some time, so she didn't rush me. He pointed out his girl-friend and parents, and so after I grilled him there at the register, we walked over and I met "her." His mom and dad still look in their 20s, and we've had a great relationship through the years, so it was wonderful to see them as well.
Joe tells me he will be a Senior this year; they will make him shave, but he knows it will grow back. The baby will come in March; he is working two jobs so they can get their own place and not live with the folks. He promised me a graduation announcement, we hugged and each walked to our cars.
I don't know if Joe ever learned to read - I did everything I knew how to teach him. The day of his TAKS test (or whatever they called it then), he turned the page, looked up at me, and drew his hood over his face while laying his head down. I walked over to him, rubbed his back with one hand and pointed word by word though each story. We were both exhausted by the time it was over, but we made it. I don't know if he even passed this year; my guess would be "no", but he has stuck it out and is on track to graduate. School has not been easy for Joe, but he has earned it.
It's enough to make me ready to go back and find another Joe.

1 comment:

Dana said...

I think we all need a Joe. I'm glad you got to see him again.