Wednesday, July 09, 2008

What a bunch of dames!!

My mom had 4 sisters. They were called "The May Girls" and were quite the bombshells in the days of WWII. I've seen flirty pictures of them in their swimsuits sitting on soldiers laps that no young, awkward teenage girl should have to see!! They married handsome men and loved each other very, very much.

All of them are gone now, except my Aunt Mary. I got word this morning through the magic of email that she is in ICU in severe pain and bad shape. Doesn't look good. Pray hard, her daughter said.

Aunt Mary married my Uncle Billie and lost her first two children before I was born. They went on and had 5 more kids, the dear cousins I've written about before. Deeann is like my sister in many ways, and when the third sister died, she said to me, "No offense, Amy, but I hope my mom is not the last to go."
Well, she is, and has amazed us all by her health and stamina. Until about the last year, she was putting on her own roof and mowing her yard with a push-mower. She is "Granny" to everyone in her little town, and still took tickets at the basketball games last winter. She is 84.

She never quit - no matter what life handed her. No matter how hard it was to raise all those kids, to bury her husband when so young and never remarry. To bury two little children. To lose all those sisters (and their crazy brother Roland) and her mother and father. Now last year, she lost her son. She never quit.

So, I'd appreciate whatever prayers you would lift up on her behalf. Not so much for her - she's probably ready to leave this world and join those she loves, but for her 4 remaining children, grandkids, great-grandkids, and a niece and nephew or two.

1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

They were a group! Have you heard anything else from Deanne?