Tuesday, September 02, 2008

There, but by the Grace of God, go I....

This weekend, with all the news of Sarah Palin and her pregnant daughter and other thought-provoking things, I have been thinking about my life. I have two daughters, and by grace, as well as good choices on their part, we were not faced with the situation she finds herself in. It does not always matter how hard we try to raise them, sometimes things just don't go the way we plan. I know that anyone can find themselves in settings or circumstances where things go tragically wrong, and life is changed. We have several friends whose kids made poor choices, either with sex or drugs or stupid driving or a multitude of things, and the outcomes were tragic. When we forget how close we ourselves come to the fire on occasion, we set ourselves up for heartbreak or disapointment. Then, God steps in, and spares us from ourselves. I've learned many lesson from hindsight, and I hope that life continues to work itself out as it has in my life and in the lives of my husband and children. I also hope I am spared from looking down my nose at those who find themselves needing God's grace.

2 comments:

Darla said...

Agreed!

1 Corinthians 10:12:

Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall.

Theresa said...

Thank you for sharing this.
I thought I was a good mother and somewhere along the way I almost lost everything.

I have two beautiful daughters ages 21 and 23.

My 23 year old has a beautiful 4 year old son, but was married to an addict/alcoholic. My 20 year old almost died from a drug overdose on my livingroom floor.
Neither graduated from school. I turned my eyes toward Jesus, repented and began a new life in Christ.

My oldest daughter divorced her husband and is in her 2nd year of college going pre-med and my youngest is gainfully employeed, living on her own but is considering going to college to become a dentist.

God has given me and my family a second chance and I am forever grateful for his grace and his mercy.

Never give up on our kids as God never gives up on us. Trust him and watch him turn drastic situations into miracles.

I pray you never experiance anything like this but I also know God will never leave you or forsake you. Prayer is a powerful weapon.