Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Voices from the past

Last night, Andy and I went over to my home church to attend their Gospel Meeting. As he got home after 6:30 and needed something to eat, we walked in soon after the singing ended and they introduced the speaker of the evening. We sat down next to my dear friend (we literally ran into each other on the sidewalk of that church and began a life-long relationship), and while my body was in 2008, it wasn't long before my mind was in the 60s.

That is where my dad would lead singing, and prayers, and announcements, and - well, you know those little churches. My mom wrote the bulletin that sat on the round table by the door. I noticed the guest book is no longer there - what did that mean? As I scanned the pews, I could see Sister Spence in her crocheted cap on her head. She taught me Bible stories with Pipe Cleaner characters and Felt cut-outs. We gave our monies for the missionaries in a Band-Aid box at the end of class. Next to her would be Sister Kinchen. Her husband demanded lunch at noon, so she left every Sunday after the Lord's Supper to be in subjection to him. The Perrys would be in front and the Ankroms beside them. The Maxwells, such dear, sweet souls. Now, all are gone, and as I sat there, it dawned on me that Cathy, her two sisters and me were the only ones there from my past. That was a moment I won't soon forget.

What I recall about those people I named that are all gone now is that church and God was serious business to them. The men, especially, were sour faced and somber; no "Joy of the Lord is My Strength" would pass across their lips. And yet, you knew they loved both you and the Lord, and nothing was going to harm the church as long as they had any say. If they walked into a church today, would they even recognize it?

So while things are not at their best right now, there is still a core of folks who have hope. A new co-minister set-up with the church in Natalia has everyone optimistic about the future for the first time in as long time. I'm adding the church in Poteet to my prayer list, and would apprectiate if you would as well.

Lots of wonderful memories came back to me last night. It was an evening well spent -

No comments: