Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Yet another storm

Ike. Another hurricane aiming at spoiling my plans... Erin and Gregg and Roarke are planning to come over for the weekend; Erin's last one out before Liz arrives. Now, we watch the spaghetti models to see what Ike has in store. Erin tells me they're still planning to come, and so Ike just better behave himself!! A pregnant woman has her mind made up and it will take more than a category hurricane to stop her!!

When I was little, my grandparents lived in Alice, Texas. During the 60s, there were several devastating hurricanes; Carla, Camille, and more who came in at Corpus. My grandparents' home was made of very thick concrete, and sat right on Hwy. 281 heading north. My grandparents would put a sign on the road, offering safe harbor to ride out the fury. Strangers by the carfull would find food and pallets laid side by side in the huge "front room." They stayed as long as was necessary, and were given what they needed.

It set a powerful example for me to see. Real-life Good Samaritans at work.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I can't wait for the storm. Maybe we'll get to keep g & E for a while!