Friday, May 22, 2009

May 22, 1976

Today in our anniversary - 33 years. What do you say about being married that long; we both have changed a lot - like every couple that survives life together that long, and I'd say there are very few things that I look back on with sadness or regret. Those things I regret are thing I did, or said, or neglected to do; but through it all, there's been Andrew. His stability and strength are part of what attracted me to him to begin with, and when things have been hard, it was nice to know that he would be the same. It makes things do-able and bearable.

We've lived in 3 great places in 33 years, and have attended 3 wonderful churches. Each one was just what we needed at the time, and we have such great memories of each one. Our lives as Christians have been strengthened and nurtured by each one.

Now, we are starting this new season of our marriage with a beautiful grandbaby and retirement on the horizon - the blush of new, fresh falling in love long gone, but the deep commitment of a marriage to hold on to. The peace and assurance that brings are priceless, and allows me to face whatever comes with confidence, because Andrew will be there, right beside me.

3 comments:

shanon said...

Congratulations and I hope there are many more celebrations.
Shanon

The Johnsons said...

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for the example you have set for us. 33 years - we only have 28 more to get there!

Jackie said...

Well I'm a looser! Hope you had a great one.

Being in the same phase . . . you always wonder which stage of life is the finest. Still trying to work that one out.