Saturday, May 30, 2009

I just do not believe this -

The majority of my teaching career, I worked with a wonderful woman, Billie Maderer. She loved me, respected me both personally and professionally, and she trusted me to make the right decisions. I felt happy and competent at school.

Then, Billie retired.

On of my co-teachers was named her replacement, and so began our relationship on a new level. Soon, it became obvious that I was not the same person in her eyes that I had been in Billie's. There were times when I felt old, tolerated, used up.

At the end of the year, Spring, 2008, I was transferred to another department with a new supervisor. I was no longer on the same campus all day; half day somewhere else, then there the afternoon. The new supervisor treats me with great respect and gives me freedom to do my job. My new co-workers and principal on the other campus are very complimentary and encouraging. I feel like I am returning to my old feelings of confidence, and I enjoy school again.

This week, I have learned that my new supervisor has been re-assigned. Her replacement will be my previous supervisor! I will once again be under the "leadership" of someone who I feel was more than happy to see me leave her staff. Now,instead having about 80 folks to focus on, she will have less than half that number. Great.

So... instead of ending my year with great enthusiasm about the Fall, I dread it. My summer will now be filled with concerns about the coming changes, and my attitude in how I will positively deal with them.

And then, I receive this quote from the mother of one of my 2nd graders: "I feel so blessed to have you touch the life of my son. It takes such special teachers to make a crazy mom relax, but I see your hard work everyday when he comes home proud and excited about overcoming his dyslexia. I will always hold a space in my heart for you."

I guess I will just try and focus on that -

1 comment:

Jackie said...

in through your nose and wout through your mouth . . .