Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Mom's Dad Shout - Out!

I think one can be way maudlin and sappy on this particular holiday, and so for my post today, I'm going to keep it upbeat - I got to hear sweet Liz screeching in laughter last night on the phone, and that will keep me happy until I get to see her (and her precious folks!) in a couple of weeks. So, without further ado - my tribute to some great moms -

To Erin - the first of a lifetime of sweet memories; you have blown me away with your instinctual nurturing of Elizabeth - plus, you are one fun mom! Hang on, there's lot's more to come!

To Jackie - your Christmas scavenger hunts alone rank you high on my list, no to mention trampolines, hay rides, and loving my girls as if they were your own!

To Cathy - Dana was your baby as much as mine; thanks for all those trips to birthday parties and Cabbage Patch dolls!

To my dear cousin Deeann, raising Crystal while earning your degree as a single mom won my respect like you will never know. I love you -

Shanon - Shanon had Meredith 4 months after Dana was born, and everyday, after school, she came over and lay Dana across her pregnant belly, so they could "play"

Dianne - starting "late" and having 4 perfect stairsteps; you taught me so much about acceptance of each child as an individual!

Anne - my mother in law. What would Andy's life have been without her steadfastness, structure and determination to make those two boys her own. Words fail me.

Okay - I said I'd keep it light -

Jaci Hutton - a military mom who inspires with her love of those babies, and of her husband as he serves us - and can keep all those "J" names straight!

Kara - Anjane is so lucky to have her as a mom!

My mom - fun in a nutshell. Maybe not all of the time, but when she was "on", no one could touch her; tents, mudpies, laying in grass and looking at clouds; and the list goes on.

I see the "young" mothers at church, and I hope they are enjoying these days of little ones, with sticky fingers, toothless grins, and messy rooms. If I could, I'd take the chance to go back and visit a few of those days, not to change anything, but to smell in the sweetness of the hours. But since I can't, I move on - to Liz, and to the little ones who will follow her.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

hat a great idea!

thanks for your words, sweetie. I love you more than my luggage.

The Johnsons said...

I'm so glad you enjoy Liz's squeals. They are sweet but man are they loud!

You're a pretty great mom, too. Lots of memories spilling my little 8 years thoughts while coloring. :) I love you, mama.