Monday, April 07, 2008

What's for dinner ?!?!

About the time I got into high school, my mom started saying, "I'm tired of cooking!!" I didn't think much about it during the time, because I was a kid, and moms were supposed to cook for the family. No quitting; it was a job to the death.

Now, we weren't a big eating-out family. My dad got home early (4:30 pm), and he expected the dinner on the table when he arrived. Our kitchen wasn't air-conditioned, and so mom cooked early in the afternoon before it got too hot. She kept it warm for him, he came home and loved every bite. "Muy bueno comida!!" he would say in his most appreciative tone, and go on out to work on some car or mow. We didn't eat together as a family, and usually we ate in front of the tv. It was always good.

Back to cooking... well, I marry Andy, who also came from a non-eating-out family, and so the tradition of cooking continued. The girls came along, we were broke, or felt like it, and so eating out was a luxury. Maybe on report card day, or some such excitement. Years passed. I cooked.

Now, the girls are gone, and I sound a lot like my mother on those days in the hot kitchen. I am tired of cooking. And you know, it's not even the task of the job, but the planning and deciding of it. Tell me what to fix, and I'll do it, but please don't make me decide. Let's get something we both like and forget the grocery store - HEB has gotten enough of our cash!!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Or how about the: "I don't feel like eating and I still have to fix something for my foreign exchange student"?

I think that's what I miss the most. The option to NOT cook.