Monday, March 19, 2007

Call me "Editor"

I had some really good teachers growing up. All through school, they made sure we learned the spelling rules and grammar do's and don'ts, and my mom was a stickler for the same. I pride myself on my spelling abilities, and other teachers have been known to ask me to proof stuff for them. I find it an odd but pleasurable talent.

My friend has written a book, and we've discussed it over the past year on several occasions. Being her first effort at being published, she's doing all the little last minute things before sending it off to be printed. Last night, she gave me a big surprise when she asked me to read over and edit it for her!! WHOOPEE!! Today, she brought it over. I'm doing my first read-through when I finish here.

I know from writing my children's story how nerve-wracking it is to let someone read your writing, and what a big step it is to hand it over to someone else. It's like opening up your soul to someone for their inspection. Vulnerable isn't descriptive enough. I'm so honored she trusts me - I promised her I'll be very professional, and kind. I'm sure it will be great.

Who knows - this could be the start of a new career for me!!

No comments: