Saturday, March 17, 2007

Neopolitan, anyone??

When Dana moved home after completing college to teach her first year, she wanted to redo her room. It had been light blue since the house was built, and she'd outgrown it. So, she picked a lovely suede brown (dark) color and redid her room. Very cozy, just too dark (and brown) for my taste.

The other day, after seeing Dr. Massey, we went to get paint. Now, we'd picked out a couple of ideas, but when it came time to mix one of them, I'd changed my mind. I found a lovely mauve color that I thought would look just right in the room on the west side of the house, even though Andy thought it may not be quite right. I prevailed, we bought paint, and went home.

Thursday morning, Dana leaves to head back to San Marcos (sad face here!), and we begin the process. Andy tapes up the things he thinks need it, and begins to patch up some little holes with white stuff. Now the room looks patchy, but soon it will be alright.

Sure. He opened the paint, and it was PINK !! Once he began to do the trim work, it looked all wrong. That's when he makes his "this looks like neopolitan ice cream" remark, and I almost fainted. I ran to get the swatch, and it DID NOT MATCH ! This was not good, but we'd spent the money on the paint, and it was going on the walls no matter what!

Luckily, once it dried, it was the right color - the one that matches the swatch - and it looks good. To me, anyway. It's still too pink for him!! You'll have to come see and give us your opinion, even though it'll stay that color for a while!!

Enjoy this beautiful day!

3 comments:

Darla said...

Been there! Not pink but when I bought the paint for my house I thought it was a beautiful mocha brown color and when I put it on the walls it turned out to be a gray-with a hint violet when the sun hit it and I ended up really loving the calmness of the color. Although when my sister sees it she sees a gray-green instead of the violet I see. Grays are like that.

What I concluded was that when you look at the color swatches in the store you need to get out from under the florescent lights at the color swatch display and when putting the paint on the wall light colors dry darker and dark colors dry lighter as a rule of thumb.

So you can not tell until it is up on YOUR walls in YOUR house under YOUR lights.

I think color sample packs are a good idea.

Dana said...

Good thing I like ice cream!

The Johnsons said...

The house is going to look like an Easter egg! Green kitchen, yellow Erin's room, pink Dana's room...

: )