Sunday, November 19, 2006

Before Erin married Gregg, she asked me once how I knew Andy'd be a good dad. I guess at the time, I knew he would because he'd had that modeled in a wonderful way by my in-laws, and he "fit" my list of qualities, but what I said to Erin was, "I just knew he was a good kisser!" and we laughed and moved on.

30 years is a long time to see someone day light to dark. It's seeing the good and the bad, the frustrating little habits that make you roll your eyes, and the shocks when they do something that is so very out of character that it worries you or takes your breath away.

Today, Andy resumed his duties as one of the elders of our congregation. It's been a long, agonizing almost 4 months since they stepped down, and I really was prepared for him not to take it on again. He's not a quitter, and doesn't give up on commitments, and so this has been especially hard on him. He'd not prepared what he wanted to say until he stepped up, and opened his heart for all to hear. Of course, the other wives were proud of their husbands, but my heart was so full of love and admiration I thought I would burst listening to him. I hope I never forget how that felt.

Now, he's back at it - I hope for a long, happy time. They covet your prayers, as do I.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

You know, I really don't think I'm proud that Robert is an Elder. I'm scared to death. It is a frightening thing to be on the other end of "Those who will have to give account." It's like he's volunteered to go into the pits of Africa where the man-eaters lay in wait for white meat. I don't think I can convey my feelings any better than that. That's why all the 'Congradulations' bug the mess out of me. I keep thinking people should be offering prayers.

But then again, if God calls, you really have no respose if you love Him. So, like your Andy says, "Just suck it up Jackie."

Oh, the love.