Monday, November 27, 2006

Things I'm greatful for # 600 (no, you haven't missed the other 599, I just picked a number that sounded about right!!) :

I learned to sing harmony by ear, from my brother and the Barnes sisters. There were 4 of them, each had "her" part, and when I would go to their house and we'd sing church songs, I'd listen to each one and learn the part. Our church was so small, that when we had worship, I'd have to sing the medley to "balance" out the other parts. Later, when Cathy and I would sit on the swing and sing, she'd always sing alto, and again, I'd get the medley.

When I went to camp, and eventually went to college, I got to sing alto all the time; it was better suited to my voice range and I just liked the "neat " part. Sometimes, I'd go up, like on most Praise songs of the day, or if I was really feeling rebellious, I'd switch to tenor. Never bass; I am a girl, after all!

Anyway, on Sunday, our songleader chose a song we haven't sung in a decade if that soon. It's one of my old Poteet favorites, and has the lead change several times throughout the verse. Well, the people at worship didn't appear to remember it, or had never learned it, and so when the lead changed to soprano and the leader changed to bass - oops!! Luckily I remembered the song and went up. Here comes the alto lead in the chorus; same problem! It was a mess, but I had fun singing all the parts. Dana got a kick out of my "leading" the song, but hey; someone had to keep it from falling apart!!

Now, I'm not bragging, just grateful that all those years ago at the Barnes' house, I listened to those sisters sing!!

5 comments:

Dana said...

Ha Ha! I'm pretty sure God made an exception about your leading singing on Sunday! I know he loves a joyful noise but that was almost a mess!

Crystal said...

Oh how fun! I, too, am so thankful to have a singing hertiage. Sometimes we just sit around and sing old favorites!

Jamie said...

I LOVE that song. We used to sing it at Camp Bandina all of the time. I could hear you belting out that alto too and I loved it!

The Johnsons said...

What song were you singing?! And I'm sure it wasn't that bad...

(I like Dana's last part of her comment!)

Amy said...

Erin - the first verse begins: "I hold to the hand of my Savior and Friend...." not sure of the title right now. And I'm sure Dana wasn't referring to MY singing as being a mess!!! Ha!