Saturday, November 04, 2006

Many, many years ago, my brother Gary drew a "Life line treadmill" cartoon that I would look at and wonder about how real it was. I think I'm finding out at this stage of my life.

A former co-worker sent out an email this week updating us on her husband's battle with lung cancer. Their kids are our girls' ages, and
we've had dealings with them since we moved here. She retired from teaching a few years ago, and I'd lost touch. Now that she is going through this trial, she is getting in touch with those of us who are still at the school. As I looked at the addresses, I realized that there are very few of us left on that campus who even know her. Our treadmill is rolling, and it's rolling fast. I'm behind only one or two on the longevity list, and now I feel like I want to turn around and run backwards; I"m not ready to be falling off the end!!

Now I know that retirement and dying are not the same, and I'm greatly looking forward to not working in the future, but when you think about the days gone by, and the opportunities missed, it's a sobering thought. I guess that's why God tells us not to worry about things we can't change; our days are too short and fast as it is without filling them up with things you can't do anything about. So if I haven't told you today that you are special to me and that I love you with my whole heart, here it is, along with a big hug.

Have a beautiful Saturday!

No comments: