Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Just what is a good life? Is it decided before we are born, do we have control over it's outcome - it it "the road not taken"? Can we recognize it as it happens, or does it surprise us in realization when we are old and see it in hindsight? Can our parents set it in motion for us by all their dreams and wishes and opportunities they give us? What about those people who have it "better" than we do... do they really?

Right now, I sit at the age of looking back. I think I've had a wonderful life, even though there are certainly things I'd like to erase and do again, although for the most part, it's been "easy." One good thing my mom drilled into my head was that looking back and wondering "what if" is only a futile exercize - it changes nothing and leaves us with regrets we have no control over. I hope Dana and Erin know that. I also hope they know their dad and I love them with all the love we have to give, and that we did our best.

Now, it's up to them. Today is Gregg and Erin's wedding anniversary, and I hope they always love each other like they do today - there is nothing like young love. They have a life of decisions to make ahead of them, and they'll make smart ones, because they look to God for their guidance.

Dana has the world ahead of her, and that is scary. I'd love to make her decisions for her, but I can't. If only you could go a little ahead down the road and see if things are what you think, and then turn back if they weren't - but that is what faith is, and she has great faith.

So, I sit back and watch. It was so much easier when they were little, and I could make them mind me!! Well, most of the time, anyway.

So begins 2007 -

No comments: