Saturday, September 09, 2006

Don't you love eyes?! Everything you need to know about a person and what they feel and think can be learned by one glimpse at their eyes. Yesterday, I had two amazing glimpses into a person's feelings.

One was a man I was speaking to about an event in our not so distant past. This is a calm and yet passionate man, who never fails to show compassion for others and still hold people responsible for their actions. As we talked, and I mentioned a specific event, immediately his eyes flamed with intensity and I knew I'd opened a can of worms I shouldn't have. My husband's eyes do that; they glow with fire when you've said something that sets his blood to boil. Stop while you can or be ready to hear the truth as he knows it.

The other instance yesterday was when I was working with a 4th grade teacher in her classroom. I was across from her with a group while she was testing a little boy I have in Resource. At just the right minute, we met eyes across the classroom, and her eyes were looking at me in amazement that this child could not read a letter, much less words and sentences. The look of horror that said, "What will I do with him!?" shot out of her eyes and was sad and humorous at the same time. Forget Vegas, Tracy - you have NO poker face!

Eyes - they sometime betray us and yet they give us so much that words fail to convey.

1 comment:

Cryssy said...

Amen! Eyes really are the gateway to the soul! I guess that is one of the reasons I don't look people in the eye...it makes me learn things about people that I don't want to be that close to. One of my many walls. I had an encounter like that today as I was driving through the base gate. The guy at the gate had a very piercing but very gentle look in his eye. Very disturbing. The kind that makes you want to know his life story because you know he has some truth somewhere in there that was learned the hard way. Bless him.