Friday, September 15, 2006

When my mother died and my sister and nephew left town, my sweet father-in-law asked us when we'd be moving back over toward Houston. Andy has 2 brothers and a sister and we are the only ones who've left the area. We see them a few times every year; mainly holidays and birthdays and now graduation kinds of times. I feel my nieces and nephews don't really know me, but that is how things are when you do live apart.

Anyway, after he asked us that, we talked about leaving and finding a new life closer by. Andy checked openings in his field and I hit the houses in the towns he brought home, and we talked about being closer to Erin and Gregg. Then, we came to a conclusion that my father-in-law just doesn't "get." Pleasanton IS home. So much of our lives are rooted here; our history, our church family - we are not ready to walk away from that into an uncertain place. Tonight that was shown to me again, when we went to the football game. Former students, co-workers, folks from church, etc. were all around us. Kids that we've watched grow up are now in band and cheerleading and playing on the team. We sit on the bleachers where we've sat for several teams, right at home with our crew. It was all so familiar, and felt so right.

I'm not saying we'll never leave - only God knows those kind of things, but for now, we'll stick with Pleasanton. Why? We've been very blessed and feel like no other house could be our home.

4 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Just so you know - you are welcome any time. And you have a wide area to choose from: Fairfield neighborhood, Conroe, Woodlands, Huntsville's even close by - it's a large area with lots to pick from.

Dana should come along, too!!!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure where I want to end up. My family is so far away, but we do love West Texas after 10 years. I guess it will depend on where Lance and Shelby end up. Home is where the heart is.

Amy, maybe we can find a nice retirement home to retire to together.

Jackie said...

there's a bud lite commercial (yeah, real Christian here, huh?) that is about the 'way too proud of Texas guy.'. When I was in Hawaii, I realized that somehow, that was now me. I've become a Texan - go figure.
Sure, we might leave, but not yet.

'Not yet.' - i'm such a movie person.

jenn said...

as i read my heart sank and i began to tense...i thought you were trying to tell us something and i genuinely became sad. i often think that i am close to parents of my friends because of that person we share love and friendship with, i realize right now that i am close to you and andy because i am close to you and andy! yeah dana got that started but i love you guys and consider you friends and not just a friends parents. i am soooooo glad that you don't plan to leave anytime soon! I love ya!