Monday, September 11, 2006

Isn't it funny how you do something everyday and think nothing of it, and someone comes along and makes a BIG DEAL about how wonderful it is that you are doing that thing you do everyday?

One thing I've learned about teaching Special Ed kids is that they are just kids like any other. I'm not talking about the severe/profound kids; just the everyday kids with learning disabilities. I don't want to try to figure out how many I've taught over the years, but it's been a few dozen at least, and some have been more trying than others. However, they are "what I do" and to me there are others out there much more trying and frustrating than my kids. Well... today, my teacher with whom I do inclusion came up to me and said, "God bless you, God bless you for working with _____ like you do!" She was very flattering and kind, and I felt good but it's really not that hard. Perhaps I shouldn't tell that out loud; I may be "found out." But really, it's not a big thing. I just look at them as if they were my own, and treat them with the respect I would want my own daughters treated. The rest is plain old teaching. I feel blessed to do it everyday - really. The rewards are immeasureable.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

what is not a big thing to you is HUGE to others. I could not begin to express how i could never do your job anywhere near as good as you do. You have been found out, chickie. you're wonderful.

but then, i always knew that.

The Johnsons said...

Your job isn't hard - ???

Ha!

I'm glad you enjoy doing what you do - I wish all teachers felt that way.

Cryssy said...

For those of us moms with special ed kids, you are a true blessing. We are so happy to have teachers like you that can see beyond our child's problem and see their heart. Whether it comes easy for you or not, we love you for it and am blessed by your presense. From a special ed mom to a special ed teacher...we thank you, we love you, and God bless you!

jenn said...

its always amazing to me how someone's personal attitude, which one has control over, can change the entire experiance. the attitude you have in your class room radiates and reaches so many. I absolutely love being in your pressence always. And it was an awesome experiance when i was in your room for that short time those few years ago!