Thursday, September 28, 2006

I get LOTS of forwards. Sometimes I send them on, sometimes not - like those "do it in 10 days or else you will DIE and the earth will implode!" ones. There have been several that contain all those little words of wisdom, and I usually read them through, just looking for new ones. Well, not so long ago, I cut this one out and hung it on my file cabinet at school: "There are worse things than a wrong number at 4:30 in the morning." Yesterday, I got one of those calls. It wasn't at 4:30 in the morning, but the message was just as scary.

Erin had been in a wreck in Houston, and Gregg was calling to give her Dad and me the news. His voice was one of calm terror - trying to ease the news and yet not scare the life out of me. She is okay, he said, and then proceeded to give me the details. Later, when Andy asked me a hundred questions, I could not recall detail one, but my girl is okay. Jerk in the red car that spun her around like a top kept going like a coward, but several nice people stopped to help.

Later in the evening, she felt like talking, so she called. I was really okay, until she told me about heading for the guardrail the seperated her from becoming a projectile out over the skies of Houston. I managed to swallow that big lump and keep talking to her, but the image shook me pretty good. She is okay. She is okay.

Thanks to all the nice folks who came to her rescue in the midst of craziness - I take back all the mean things I've said about Houston drivers!!

1 comment:

Dana said...

My heart stopped when I talked to her too. God is definitely good!