Saturday, September 23, 2006

I have several things on my mind today to blog about, but I think I'll do the one most specific to this day... the others will come later.

This afternoon, Andy and I attended an Eagle Scout ceremony for a young man we know through church. He told us that he has been working on his Eagle for 4 years; I can't control my eating for a month. What does that say about me!?

Anyway, back to Aaron. His scout leader told the group gathered today that only 1 in 200 scouts make it to Eagle; the highest rank on scouting. My dad was a scout master for the majority of my life, and he only had 4 or 5 that I can remember. He loved those boys and kept in touch with them all his life. In fact, one of them threw a water balloon and broke my car windshield and I wouldn't tell Dad who it was because I knew he would be so disappointed! One of the neat things is that most Presidents were Eagle Scouts, along with members of Congress and many high level business leaders.

So what does camping and wearing that goofy uniform have to do with being so successful? I have to believe it is more that the process, it is the care and influence of the adults in that boy's life that enable him to have the perception of himself that he can accomplish the difficult without quitting when it gets hard. They learn to dream and plan and depend on others to help them along the way.

I hope to learn in the future that Aaron has done great things with his life; he certainly has gotten off to a great start!!

No comments: