Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I really don't feel like being serious tonight - just got through watching Sybil and that will put a downer on any day. So, let's talk about dolls !

When I was little, my mom had a part-time job while Gary and I were in school. Her purpose was to get out of the house that she felt cloistered in, and she would do various little jobs around town. Every payday, she would cash her little check, load Gary and me into the car, and off we'd go to San Antonio. My mom knew one way in to Sears on Military Drive, and one way home. We never ventured off that road, and never went anywhere else, except to the bowling alley down the road. At Sears, I would get a new doll and a bag of malted milk balls from the candy counter. Gary would get candy and then we'd go bowling. I'd play with my doll while he and mom bowled.
Needless to say, after just a little while, I'd have quite a collection of dolls. Gary, being the great big brother that he was, did his best to destroy them, but I got them faster than he could plan their demise.

Now, I know I had favorite dolls, but to pick one would be very hard. I don't even consider Barbies in that group; they were a world of their own. But if I had to choose, I'd pick Tiny Tears. A lovely little baby face, made of hard plastic, but sweet to behold. You'd fill her "tummy" with water in her bottle, and then when you'd squeeze her, the tears would flow. Looking back, it was kind of odd to set your baby up to cry, but I'm sure there's nothing psychological in that - it was just fun. I played hours and hours with Tiny (she never had a real name that I can remember!) and have her to this day. She gave me lots of practice for holding Dana and Erin, and for that, I'm thankful!

Do you recall a favorite doll of your own?

6 comments:

Dana said...

The only doll that I can remember would be the one that got me grounded. Do you remember that?

Cryssy said...

I never played with dolls. I remember my mom was deployed to Turkey for 18 months and she sent me a Barbie for my birthday (I guess she assumed while she was gone that I'd morphed into a girl that liked dolls...). I was crushed. How could my mother send me such a dumb gift after having been gone so long? She didn't love me! Ha, poor Mom, nice try though. Hee hee.

The Johnsons said...

I liked the doll that you could draw on their faces (make-up) and it would erase. Don't know if that was the purpose of the doll because Dana had a girl, and I had a boy... hmmm... Maybe I just thought I could draw make-up on it. Then that led to Shelby and I putting make-up on Lance.

That and my glow worm doll. I remember really liking him. Ah, memories.

jenn said...

i had a little sleeping baby. she wore pink all-in-one fott pajama thing (it didn't come off) and she had a little yellow pillow attached to her head. she was always sleeping, which upset me when i wanted her to "play". But she had the most angelic face. I loved that baby and played with her all the time and when i was too old for dolls, she sat on my shelf where in her sleeep i would look at her everyday and every now and then, i would pick her up, rock her sometimes, but always give her a kiss before i placed her back in her spot. i have her somewhere...i wonder where she is...maybe i need to look!

Dana said...

And Annie. How could I forget Annie!?

Anonymous said...

Erin,
Now I understand Lance better! Ha!
I never played much with dolls; I would rather have been outside playing. My mom had my little sister when I was in 5th grade, so I had a really live doll to play with. Maybe that is why I stayed outside so much.
Shanon