Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A losing battle?

I've taughts lots and lots of kids over the years, and for the most part, they were kids who had difficulty learning. Some were due to mothers who abused substances while pregnant, some had low IQs, some were from families where education and genetics combined left little to work with. It's always been a challenge, but never as much as working with the kids I have now.

Dyslexia is a mean booger. You are intelligent enough to know you should know those words, and yet they stump you day in and day out. No matter how hard you look at those combinations, they just don't come together easily. I have a few students this year that look like it hurts them to decode simple, 3 or 4 letter words, and it frustrates me as well as it does them. I would love to be able to "cure" them, but all I can do right now is give them the tools they need and hope they can internalize them eventually.

Thankfully, I am at an age where I have more patience with these kids than I ever have. My heart hurts for their struggles and I try every day to make it as painless as possible. Will I make a difference in the long run - I have to believe I will, so I'd just pack up my stuff and give it to someone else. For now, though, I'm giving it all I've got.

No comments: