Friday, February 27, 2009

Happy Friday!

I have to share something funny from the world of teaching. The other day, my second grade group was enjoying the privilege of having a "day off" from our curriculum (translation: Mrs. LaMore was SICK of it!), and so they chose - with my help - Sight Word Bingo.

Now, they are sitting all around me at a kidney table, little chips in hand, earnestly searching their cards for the sight words I am calling out. Remember, these are kids that are dyslexic, so this is not without stress. It helps them to repeat it over and over until they find it. Anyway, as I call out the letter and word , "B - also", I notice that without realizing it, they are mimicing my tone and rhythmn! All 4, in perfect tone and inflection! So, I begin to have some fun with it, varying my delivery each time, and watching them - heads down, chip in hand, seriously chanting whatever and however I said! It was so funny - it almost is scary the power I had over them at that minute!!

Times like that make it worth going every day!!

1 comment:

Dana said...

I mess with my kids that way too. Every once in a while I'll just throw something silly in to see if they'll catch it. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. It doesn't take much to entertain me! :)